Publications of Bophelo Pele Directors:
- Auvert, B., et al., HIV infection among youth in a South African mining town is associated with herpes simplex virus-2 seropositivity and sexual behaviour, in AIDS2001. p. 885-98.
- Auvert, B., et al., Association of oncogenic and nononcogenic human papillomavirus with HIV incidence. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 2010. 53(1): p. 111-6.
- Auvert, B., et al., Key facts on male circumcision. S Afr Med J, 2009. 99(3): p. 150-1.
- Auvert, B., et al., Can highly active antiretroviral therapy reduce the spread of HIV?: A study in a township of South Africa. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 2004. 36(1): p. 613-21.
- Auvert, B., et al., Estimating the resources needed and savings anticipated from roll-out of adult male circumcision in Sub-Saharan Africa. PLoS One, 2008. 3(8): p. e2679.
- Auvert, B., et al., Effect of male circumcision on the prevalence of high-risk human papillomavirus in young men: results of a randomized controlled trial conducted in Orange Farm, South Africa. J Infect Dis, 2009. 199(1): p. 14-9.
- Auvert, B., et al., Randomized, controlled intervention trial of male circumcision for reduction of HIV infection risk: the ANRS 1265 Trial. PLoS Med, 2005. 2(11): p. e298.
- Auvert, B., et al., Association of the ANRS-12126 male circumcision project with HIV levels among men in a South African township: evaluation of effectiveness using cross-sectional surveys. PLoS Med, 2013. 10(9): p. e1001509.
- Fiamma, A., et al., Can HIV incidence testing be used for evaluating HIV intervention programs? A reanalysis of the Orange Farm male circumcision trial (ANRS-1265). BMC Infect Dis, 2010. 10: p. 137.
- Lagarde, E., et al., High rate of adverse events following circumcision of young male adults with the Tara KLamp technique: a randomised trial in South Africa. S Afr Med J, 2009. 99(3): p. 163-9.
- Lissouba, P., et al., A model for the roll-out of comprehensive adult male circumcision services in African low-income settings of high HIV incidence: the ANRS 12126 Bophelo Pele Project. PLoS Med, 2010. 7(7): p. e1000309.
- Mahiane, S.G., et al., Transmission probabilities of HIV and herpes simplex virus type 2, effect of male circumcision and interaction: a longitudinal study in a township of South Africa. AIDS, 2009. 23(3): p. 377-383.
- Mehta, S.D., et al., Does sex in the early period after circumcision increase HIV-seroconversion risk? Pooled analysis of adult male circumcision clinical trials. AIDS, 2009. 23(12): p. 1557-64.
- Rain-Taljaard, R.C., et al., Potential for an intervention based on male circumcision in a South African town with high levels of HIV infection. AIDS Care, 2003. 15(3): p. 315-27.
- Sobngwi-Tambekou, J., et al., Effect of HSV-2 serostatus on acquisition of HIV by young men: results of a longitudinal study in Orange Farm, South Africa. J Infect Dis, 2009. 199(7): p. 958-64.
- Sobngwi-Tambekou, J., et al., Male circumcision and Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia trachomatis and Trichomonas vaginalis: observations after a randomised controlled trial for HIV prevention. Sex Transm Infect, 2009. 85(2): p. 116-20.
- Williams, B.G., et al., Changing patterns of knowledge, reported behaviour and sexually transmitted infections in a South African gold mining community. AIDS, 2003. 17(14): p. 2099-107.
- Shanker, A.; Levine, R.L.; Kendell, K.; Bodies and Barriers: Queer Activists on Health; ISBN 9781629638010; PM Press 2020.
- V. Naranbhai; L. Myer; T. Ndung’u; N. Mabena; S. van Zyl; T. de Oliveira; Z. Woodman (Writer: Bianca Capazorio); Heroes in the battle for Health. News date: 2013-12-01; Links: http://www.bioafrica.net/manuscripts/WorldAids_Day2013_SundayTimes.pdf
Directors of Bophelo Pele track record:
Dr Dirk Taljaard:
- Systematic Monitoring of the Male Circumcision Scale-up in Eastern and Southern Africa (Co-Investigator)
- Early Infant Male Circumcision Pilot project UNICEF (Co-Principal Investigator)
- VMMC training outcome assessment (Principal Investigator)
- PrePex South African Pilot study, USAID (Co-Investigator)
- Advertising for Demand Creation for Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision: Final Report (Co-Investigator)
- Obtaining a male circumcision prevalence rate of 80% among adults in a short time: An observational prospective intervention study in the Orange Farm township of South Africa. Esaie Marshall et al. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017 Jan; 96(4): e5328. Funded by ANRS and CHAPS (Co-Investigator)
- New Start Self: Expanding HIV Testing Through Self Testing Kits in Gauteng Province South Africa. A Qualitative study of HIV self-testing kits in Gauteng Province, South Africa (Co-Investigator)
- Uncovering the ‘Dirt’ on Demand Creation for Medical Circumcision: A Qualitative Study of Medical Male Circumcision Demand Creation in Gauteng Province, South Africa in 2012 (Nieuwoudt, Sara.) Funded by the Foresight Foundation through Tides. Commissioned by CHAPS. – Principal Investigator.
- The impact of Clinical Associates on VMMC: S Ngcobo, L Wolvaardt, J Hugo, M Bac, M Louw, D Taljaard, L Satande. (2015)
- Building Clinical Profile for new Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision Surgical Aid Device: A Case Series Non-Comparative study for building the Clinical Profile for a new VMMC device application for Pre-qualification dossier (Principal Investigator)