GBV Program Technical Support
Bophelo Pele has a strong Gender Based Violence and Rape Care consulting and service delivery background. Dr Mabena is a well-known expert in this very important intervention in South Africa. President Cyril Ramaphosa, named GBV as the “Second Epidemic” after the current devastating epidemic of COVID-19 in South Africa. Some of the GBV consultations and projects Bophelo has been involved included some of the aspects below:
1. Stakeholder engagement
The Bophelo Consultant for this Project, Dr Ntlotleng Mabena, engaged all the stakeholders in Government, NGOs, Community and even Private sector. Various meetings and workshops were held to gather information, coordinate, train and mentor wide range of activities.
Included was the development of:
– IEC Material for GBV
– Infrastructure improvement designing (CFM facilities)
– Listing Training needs
– Staff debriefing exercises and capacitation of Internal providers to be able to do this in their organisations.
The Consultant worked closely with both USAID and CDC partners supporting the DOH on GBV.
2. Strategy development
Strategies for the implementation of funded GBV activates were developed.
Some aspects that were included:
– Plans for training and mentorship of all staff
– Training strategy to reach First Responders
– Developing IEC material and marketing
– Capacitating Linkage officers
– Development of data management systems
– Psychosocial support strategies
– Referral systems strengthening
– Strategies for minimum package services implementation
3. Training and mentorship
Bophelo supported in-service trainings and backed the theoretical sessions up with good onsite monitoring and mentoring. Mentoring was also provided through off-site support, online.
4. Data support
The Consultant collaborated in the development of a data collection tool that speaks to the indicators required by PEPFAR under this GBV program. These indicators relate to the minimum package of services, but in addition, will include other information that is worthwhile to collect, should this information be needed by the funder at a later stage. This data were collected and entered into a RedCap developed system.